Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Collectibles Fun - Grune the Detroyer


As of this writing, I had found a Grune the Detroyer (a moderately obscure villain from the Thundercats cartoon, but one *I* think is really cool) action figure at an antique mall for $6. For a collector nerd like me, I was in full blown "Yippee!"

Grune was in pretty rough shape, though. A lot of the paint had worn off and he was sort of grungy/cruddy in some places. This led to my decision to clean him up, touch up his paint, and even add some artistic interpretation of my own. I will give just a brief rundown of the changes and updates I made for anyone that might be interested, but I sort of hope the picture speaks for itself.

  • Filled in the blank spots of his silver armour on front and back.
  • Filled in the blanks spots of his black gloves and shoulder gear.
  • Freshened up the red on his leg plates.
  • Freshened up black and silver on boots.
  • I updated his helm with some silver on the studded areas.
  • I sort of blanked/whited out his eyes for a sort of ethereal appearance.
  • I frosted and variates streaks in his hair to give the appearance of age.
Finally, I offer a brief yet tremendously lulzy clip of Grune from the old Thundercats cartoon. I apologize, but the user that uploaded the clip disabled embedding, though. (???)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMD8Es8Cv0s&t=23s

No comments: